Canadian Securities Regulators' 2013 Enforcement Report Highlights Advanced Technologies To Combat Illegal Activities
CALGARY, Feb. 20, 2014 /CNW/ - The Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) today released its sixth annual Enforcement Report that reveals the significant time and effort that Canadian securities regulators are investing in the development and implementation of on-line monitoring, cyber-surveillance technologies and various tools to support forensic investigations as a means to protect investors from fraudulent investments.
"Canadian securities regulators are responding to on-line violations that continue to grow in sophistication, number and complexity with the development of new cyber tools to efficiently identify and halt illegal activities," said Bill Rice, Chair of the CSA and Chair and CEO of the Alberta Securities Commission. "As on-line schemes frequently transcend geographic boundaries, CSA members collaborate and share information whenever possible with each other, international securities regulators as well as law enforcement agencies to protect investors and to foster markets that are fair, efficient and transparent."
The CSA's 2013 Enforcement Report brings into focus the overall enforcement work done by CSA members against those who breach Canada's securities laws. CSA members concluded a total of 133 cases against 216 individuals and 166 companies.
Key highlights of the 2013 Enforcement Report:
- Cases concluded against 156 respondents by contested hearings, 150 respondents by settlement agreement and 76 respondents by court decision.
- Cases concluded resulting in:
- Fines and administrative penalties of $35.4 million;
- Almost $55 million in restitution, compensation and disgorgement; and
- Jail sentences handed down to eight individuals.
- 112 cases commenced against a total of 160 individuals and 110 companies.
- 35 interim and asset freeze orders issued against a total of 76 individuals and companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV