NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- U.S. equities are slightly in the red, as weakness remains in the global equity markets. The
FTSE 100 is down 0.3%, the
DAX 100 is off 1.2% and the
Nikkei is down 2.1%.
TheStreet's Jonathan Marino reported that Facebook (FB) will buy WhatsApp for up to $19 billion, including future stock vesting options for WhatsApp's employees.
In reaction, Facebook shares were down 4% in pre-market trading, before quickly rallying back to flat near the open. Shares were recently down about 2%.
In other merger-and-acquisition news, Safeway (SWY) revealed that it is in talks with private-equity firms about a possible buyout. Marino added that leveraged buyouts are nothing new to Safeway, which was bought out in 1986, before being sold 13 years later. Cerberus is the favorite to land Safeway.
Shares of Tesla Motors (TSLA) rose by 8% to $210, off its after-hours highs, after the company posted earnings of 33 cents per share, beating analysts' estimates of 19 cents per share.The company announced that its SUV Model X will be delayed until 2015, but investors took kindly to Tesla's rosy outlook that production is expected to increase 55% year-over-year and gross margins should increase, Marino said.
Finally, Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, said he is a buyer Chevron (CVX) for the long term. The stock is essentially flat over the past 12 months, but Cramer likes the company's relatively conservative guidance for this year. The stock is 9% off its highs and has a dividend yield of 3.5%.
Priceline.com (PCLN) and Groupon (GRPN) will report earnings after the close. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV