Galena Biopharma (GALE) Is Today's Dead Cat Bounce Stock
- GALE has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $53.7 million.
- GALE has traded 230,479 shares today.
- GALE is up 3.1% today.
- GALE was down 5% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in GALE with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for GALE NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on GALE: Massachusetts-based RXi is a biopharmaceutical research and development company that will focus on developing RNAi-based therapeutics for the treatment of human disease. RXi's initial focus will be on neurodegenerative diseases, oncology, type 2 diabetes and obesity. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Galena Biopharma a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for Galena Biopharma has been 9.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Galena has a market cap of $392.5 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 0.88 and a short float of 23% with 1.31 days to cover. Shares are down 24.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Galena Biopharma as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 48.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$6.26 million to -$9.29 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$7.98 million or 91.66% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- GALENA BIOPHARMA INC's earnings per share declined by 22.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, GALENA BIOPHARMA INC reported poor results of -$0.62 versus -$0.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.41 versus -$0.62).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, GALENA BIOPHARMA INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, GALE's share price has jumped by 140.60%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in GALE do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- You can view the full Galena Biopharma Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.