Pennsylvania American Water announced today that applications are being accepted for its 2014 Environmental Grant Program. Grant awards are available to environmental, community and watershed organizations that are planning projects within the company’s service area, which covers nearly 400 communities across 36 counties. Applications will be evaluated on such criteria as environmental need, innovation, community engagement and sustainability.
Pennsylvania American Water is a subsidiary of American Water, which initiated the Environmental Grant Program in 2005 in Pennsylvania to support projects that protect and/or restore drinking water sources and surrounding watersheds.
“We are committed to environmental stewardship and protecting our water resources, and the Environmental Grant Program is a collaborative way to support community-based organizations that share this commitment,” said Kathy L. Pape, president, Pennsylvania American Water.
To qualify, proposed projects must:
- Address a source water or watershed protection need in the community
- Be completed between May 1, 2014 and November 30, 2014
- Offer a new or innovative program for the community, or serve as a significant expansion to an existing program
- Be carried out by formal or informal partnerships between two or more organizations
- Provide evidence of sustainability (continued existence after the Pennsylvania American Water grant monies are utilized)
- Be located within one of Pennsylvania American Water's service areas
Information and applications can be obtained directly from the Pennsylvania American Water website at
, under the Water Quality & Stewardship tab. Applications must be postmarked by March 31, 2014.
In 2013, the company awarded grants to eight projects across the commonwealth, totaling nearly $35,000.
Pennsylvania American Water, a subsidiary of American Water (NYSE: AWK), is the largest water utility in the state, providing high-quality and reliable water and/or wastewater services to approximately 2.2 million people. Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs approximately 6,700 dedicated professionals who provide drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 14 million people in more than 30 states and parts of Canada.