Some employees don't stick with the common excuses for their tardiness. Employers shared some of the most memorable excuses they've received from employees who were running late, including:
- Employee claimed a zebra was running down the highway and held up traffic (turned out to be true)
- Employee woke up on the front lawn of a house two blocks away from his home
- Employee's cat got stuck in the toilet
- Employee couldn't eat breakfast – he ran out of milk for cereal and had to buy some before getting ready for work
- Employee was late to work because he fell asleep in the car when he got to work
- Employee accidentally put superglue in her eye instead of contact lens solution, and had to go to the emergency room
- Employee thought Halloween was a work holiday
- Employee said a hole in the roof caused rain to fall on the alarm clock and it didn't go off
- Employee was watching something on TV and really wanted to see the end
- Employee forgot that the company had changed locations
- Employee got a hairbrush stuck in her hair
- Employee was scared by a nightmare
Survey MethodologyThis survey was conducted online within the U.S. by Harris Poll on behalf of CareerBuilder among 2,201 hiring managers and human resource professionals and 3,008 workers (employed full-time, not self-employed, non-government) ages 18 and over between November 6 and December 2, 2013 (percentages for some questions are based on a subset, based on their responses to certain questions). With pure probability samples of 2,201 and 3,008, one could say with a 95 percent probability that the overall results have sampling errors of +/-2.09 and +/- 1.79 percentage points, respectively. Sampling error for data from sub-samples is higher and varies.
About CareerBuilder ® CareerBuilder is the global leader in human capital solutions, helping companies target and attract great talent. Its online career site, CareerBuilder.com ®, is the largest in the United States with more than 24 million unique visitors and 1 million jobs. CareerBuilder works with the world's top employers, providing everything from labor market intelligence to talent management software and other recruitment solutions. Owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:GCI), Tribune Company and The McClatchy Company (NYSE:MNI), CareerBuilder and its subsidiaries operate in the United States, Europe, South America, Canada and Asia. For more information, visit www.careerbuilder.com.