DELAFIELD, Wis. (Stockpickr) -- These three biotech stocks are within range of triggering breakout trades.
Star Scientific (STSI) engages in the development, manufacture, sale, and marketing of nutraceutical dietary supplements and consumer products. This stock closed up 4.9% to 75 cents per share in Wednesday's trading session.
Wednesday's Range: $0.70-$0.77
52-Week Range: $0.55-$2.59
Thursday's Volume: 1.46 million
Three-Month Average Volume: 1.54 million
From a technical perspective, STSI jumped sharply higher here and broke out above some near-term overhead resistance at 73 cents per share with decent upside volume. This stock has been downtrending badly over the last four months and change, with shares moving lower from its high of $2.59 to its recent low of 55 cents per share. During that downtrend, shares of STSI have been consistently making lower highs and lower lows, which is bearish technical price action. That said, shares of STSI have started to reverse that downtrend and enter a new uptrend. This spike on Wednesday is quickly pushing shares of STSI within range of triggering another near-term breakout trade. That trade will hit if STSI manages to take out Wednesday's high of 77 cents to more resistance at 80 cents per share with high volume.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in STSI as long as it's trending above some key near-term support levels at 69 cents to 65 cents per share and then once it sustains a move or close above those breakout levels with volume that hits near or above 1.54 million shares. If that breakout hits soon, then STSI will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at 90 cents to its 50-day moving average at 98 cents per share. To see more stocks that are making notable moves higher, check out the Stocks Under $10 Moving Higher portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Roberto Pedone in Delafield, Wis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV