For the fourth quarter Columbia posted earnings of $1.21 a share, beating analyst estimates of 92 cents a share by 29 cents. Revenue increased by 6% from the year-ago period to $533 million. Analysts expected revenue of $497 million for the quarter.
In a press release CEO Tim Boyle said the company is seeing "strong sales momentum." Boyle also noted that "wholesale customers are exhibiting a greater appetite" for the company's new fall 2014 line.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, COLM's share price has jumped by 48.13%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, COLM should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- COLM has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.52, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 45.25% is the gross profit margin for COLUMBIA SPORTSWEAR CO which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 10.28% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to -$111.98 million or 13.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -26.98%.
- COLM, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 16.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: COLM Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV