NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Days after announcing a partnership with Hasbro (HAS) to co-develop "immersive, creative play experiences," 3D Systems (DDD) has revealed its latest acquisition, Digital PlaySpace, a company specializing in digital play platforms.
Digital PlaySpace is an "immersive digital play platform that connects brands, retailers and consumers to 3D printable play activities," said 3D Systems in a statement. The company allows consumers to create printable three-dimensional toys through their digital properties including DigitalDollhouse.com and Dreamhouse Designer app on Facebook.
"Digital PlaySpace's ability to customize and rapidly publish mobile and web 3D printable content provides a differentiated value proposition for brands and consumers alike," said 3D Systems chief marketing officer Cathy Lewis in a statement.
Financial details of the acquisition were not disclosed.The purchase comes less than two months after the acquisition of Gentle Giant Studios, a 3D firm specializing in the printing of toys and collectibles for licensed brands such as Marvel, Disney and Star Wars. The Rock Hill, SC-based business is due to release fourth-quarter results on Friday, Feb. 28. Recently, management lowered guidance for its upcoming earnings. The company expects net income of 83 cents to 87 cents a share, compared to previous guidance of 93 cents to $1.03 a share. Though demand for professional 3d printing and materials was strong, it was offset by softer demand for on-demand parts and consumer devices. Must Read: 3D Systems Partners With Hasbro on 3D Toy Printing Project TheStreet Ratings team rates 3D SYSTEMS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate 3D SYSTEMS CORP (DDD) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, growth in earnings per share, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 4.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 49.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Although DDD's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.02 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 4.40, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 3D SYSTEMS CORP has improved earnings per share by 6.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Stable earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. We anticipate these figures will begin to experience more growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, 3D SYSTEMS CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.47 versus $0.47 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.85 versus $0.47).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Computers & Peripherals industry average. The net income increased by 30.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $13.52 million to $17.66 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $31.64 million or 39.80% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -4.13%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DDD Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts