NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Will the Keystone XL pipeline be approved? With a recent U.S. State Department report finding the northern part of the oil and gas pipeline won't have a significant impact on greenhouse gas emissions, it seems more likely.
Even though there are still roadblocks to overcome, such as a Nebraska state court's action Wednesday -- two of the companies that will profit if the pipeline is approved by the Obama administration are TransCanada (TRP) and Marathon Petroleum (MPC).
TransCanada owns and operates the Keystone XL pipeline that would bring crude from the Canadian oil sands in Hardisty, Alberta, down to refineries in Oklahoma, Illinois and the Texas Gulf coast.
Marathon Petroleum, meanwhile, is in the business of refining oil and selling gasoline. It is a spinoff of Marathon Oil (MRO).
TransCanada is a leader in the responsible development and reliable and safe operation of North American energy infrastructure. Its network of wholly owned pipelines taps into virtually all major natural gas supply basins in North America.
For investors it's a profitable business with a trailing 12-month (TTM) operating margin of more than 32% as of Sept. 30. Trading around $45, it's down 1.4% for the year to date.
The company reports earnings Thursday. If it can come close to the third quarter's year-over-year EPS increase of 31%, which analysts are expecting, according to Yahoo! Finance, investors will be thrilled.
Here's a one-year chart of TransCanada's share price and 100-day exponential moving price average.
TRP data by YCharts
If TransCanada's share price penetrates the orange line, its recent history suggests the possibility of a correction. TransCanada's dividend yield is 3.84% when shares are purchased at $45. The lower the purchase price, the higher the dividend yield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV