BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Put down the 10-K filings and the stock screeners. It's time to take a break from the traditional methods of generating investment ideas. Instead, let the crowd do it for you.
From hedge funds to individual investors, scores of market participants are turning to social media to figure out which stocks are worth watching. It's a concept thats known as "crowdsourcing," and it uses the masses to identify emerging trends in the market.
Crowdsourcing has long been a popular tool for the advertising industry, but it also makes a lot of sense as an investment tool. After all, the market is completely driven by the supply and demand, so it can be valuable to see what names are trending among the crowd.
While some fund managers are already trying to leverage social media resources like Twitter to find algorithmic trading opportunities, for most investors, crowdsourcing works best as a starting point for investors who want a starting point in their analysis. With that in mind, today we're taking a look at some of the most active stocks on the market.Zale
Nearest Resistance: $21
Nearest Support: $20.85
Catalyst: Acquisition Jewelry stock Zale (ZLC) is up more than 40% in this afternoon's trading, after news hit that the small-cap firm was being acquired by Signet Jewelers (SIG) in a deal worth approximately $1.4 billion. That's an offer price of $21 per share for ZLC, a target price that currently leaves a tiny 0.52% risk premium left over in shares. So even though ZLC gapped up hard on the news today, the technical story doesn't really matter any more in this trade. The money has already been made on the ZLC side of things -- and the 52 basis points left in shares really only leaves room for professional merger arbitrageurs, not retail investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV