The company said ramucirumab improved patient survival rates compared to a placebo without the cancer worsening. The trial compared a combination of ramucirumab and a common chemotherapy drug called docetaxel to a combination of a placebo and docetaxel in the treatment of patients with non-small cell lung cancer, the most common form of the disease.
"We are pleased with these Phase III data of ramucirumab in non-small cell lung cancer, which accounts for most cases of lung cancer -- the leading cause of cancer-related mortality worldwide," said Dr. Richard Gaynor, senior vice president, product development and medical affairs for Lilly Oncology, in a statement. "Despite currently available therapies, there continues to be a need for new second-line treatment options for patients with lung cancer. REVEL is the first positive Phase III study of a biologic in combination with chemotherapy to demonstrate improved overall survival compared to chemotherapy alone in second-line non-small cell lung cancer."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV