California Pot Push Is Postponed
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- California marijuana legalization efforts took a step back as proponents of what is seen as the ballot initiative with the best shot at success decided to call off their signature drive ahead of an April 18 deadline.
The Control, Regulate and Tax Marijuana Act would have allowed anyone over 21 to grow, own or give away up to an ounce of marijuana and grow up to four plants for personal use.
But backers of the proposal told The Los Angeles Times they lacked sufficient funding and would focus instead on getting a proposal on statewide ballots in 2016.
While at least two other marijuana legalization initiatives are circulating, they lack the high-profile backing of this one. Supporters for the Control, Regulate and Tax Marijuana Act included the George Soros-funded Drug Policy Alliance (DPA), and an organization put in place by the late billionaire Peter Lewis, according to the Times report. The DPA didn't immediately respond to an email message. Jesse Mainardi, who was an attorney with the Sutton Law Firm in December when he was listed on the proposed legislation as the main contact for the measure, is no longer at that firm, according to a voice message there.Follow @dan_freed
Related:The 5 States Most Likely to Legalize Pot Next
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV