This past week, the stock breached the $25 mark for the first time in two and a half years. As usual, however, there is little to no news about the company, which has long confounded investors, including yours truly.
Perhaps best known for its ownership of water rights and storage in the southwest through its Vidler Water Co. subsidiary, the company has morphed over the years. At one time, it also owned 1.2 million acres of former Nevada railroad land, which along with the water exposure, is what led to my initial position in the company.
The company sold parcels of land over the years piece by piece, and the 480,000 acres that remained were sold for $31 million in late 2011 when the company parted with its Nevada Land Resources subsidiary.The company is still active in real estate, but of much better quality than its previous Nevada land holdings. Subsidiary UCP Holdings (UCP), which PICO took public last summer, acquires and develops residential real estate, primarily in Northern California and the Puget Sound area in Washington state. PICO owns about 58% of UCP, worth $70 million based on UCP's market capitalization of $122 million. Shares of UCP have done little since the IPO, up about 12%, but the stock has been inching up and is trading at an all-time high. UCP itself appears to have substantial upside potential. The balance sheet is solid, with $58.5 million, or $7.55 a share, in net cash (cash less debt). UCP data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV