Five 'Hosers' From Across Canada Honoured with Hoses for Life
Local Champions Recognized for Braving the Polar Vortex to Keep Their Community On-Ice
Feb. 19, 2014
/CNW/ - Canadian Tire is celebrating the time honoured Canadian tradition of backyard rink building, naming
St. Lazare, QC
) as Canadian Tire's
Great Canadian Hosers
for 2014. In recognition of their accomplishments, each will receive a coveted Gold Hose Trophy, have the
We All Play for Canada
logo installed at the centre of their home ice and a
Canadian Tire Gift card to be used towards purchasing 'hoses for life.'
As part of the inaugural campaign, Canadian Tire worked closely with RinkWatch, an organization dedicated to identifying and monitoring outdoor rinks across
. After a month-long search for rinks across the country, the five rink builders were selected and will be honoured for their dedication and contribution to their local communities. Each of the rinks chosen is truly a labour of love, bringing the thrill of winter, outdoor skating and hockey to hometowns across the country.
Canadian Tire's Great Canadian Hosers for 2014:
- Justin Lachapelle ( St. Lazare, QC) has been perfecting his rink for the past eight years. The rink, inspired by his love of hockey is now a staple for neighbours in the community and its opening has become a beloved winter tradition.
- Jody Pace ( Halifax, NS) and his neighbours have seen their rink grow both in size and popularity since building it more than 10 years ago. Today it truly is a neighbourhood rink, hosting as many as 50-60 kids at one time and becoming a community location for many annual events.
- Russell Gienapp ( Toronto, ON) had an idea to build a rink on his local city park. Two years later it is already a community favourite. A group of local parents armed with hoses and shovels made this idea possible and the rink has grown beyond their dreams to suit the needs of all skaters. The rink has an area dedicated to hockey as well as free skating allowing people of all ages and interests to come together.
- Mike Mullis ( Dorchester, ON) built and maintains a rink that is loved by many in his hometown. Seeing kids in the neighbourhood learn to skate while developing their skills and making great memories are just a few of his favourite things about the rink.
- Norm Price ( Calgary, AB) built one of the largest rinks in Calgary and opens it up to community members to enjoy. Now in its second year, the rink has welcomed and taught many first time skaters.
"The men and women who lovingly, and painstakingly, flood rinks despite time or weather conditions embody a love of play and winter that should be celebrated," said TJ Flood, Senior Vice-President of Marketing at Canadian Tire Retail. "We created Canadian Tire's Great Hoser program to sing their praises and embrace life in
. These hosers capture the essence of what it means to be Canadian, and are recognized as individuals who are helping to build and maintain community spirit one backyard at a time."
Canadian Tire began looking for champion rink builders in celebration of the Company's
We All Play For Canada
campaign, which was created to celebrate the 'behind-the-scenes' individuals who contribute to the success of our Canadian athletes. Yesterday, Canadian Tire launched its ode to rinkflooders, a 30-second spot that focuses on how rink flooders support the larger hockey community. The ode content was pulled when taping 'Team Photo,' a TV spot that honours the success of Olympian and NHL player
, while paying tribute to the community members who helped support him.
"I can't begin to tell you how much we look forward to having the rink operational each winter - what started off as a little patch of ice in the backyard has come to mean so much more to our family and the community," said
. "Having access to a rink in the neighbourhood is a great way to encourage families to be active during the winter months and create lifelong memories together."
"Canadian Tire calling-out Great Canadian Hosers is completely humbling," said
. "The rink is a labour of love and I'm proud to assist in creating opportunities for play. Being recognized by Canadian Tire makes getting up at
to flood the backyard all the more rewarding."
About Canadian Tire Corporation
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited (TSX:CTC.a) (TSX:CTC) is a Family of Companies that includes Canadian Tire Retail, PartSource, Gas+, FGL Sports (Sport Chek, Hockey Experts, Sports Experts, Pro Hockey Life, National Sports, S3 and Atmosphere), Mark's, Canadian Tire Financial Services, and Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities. With nearly 1,700 retail and gasoline outlets from coast-to-coast, our primary retail business categories - Automotive, Living, Fixing, Playing and Apparel - are supported and strengthened by our Financial Services division. More than 85,000 people are employed across the Canadian Tire enterprise, which was founded in 1922 and remains one of
most recognized and trusted brands. Canadian Tire Retail, Sport Chek and Sports Experts are proud to be Premier National Partners of the Canadian Olympic Team. For more information, visit