SHANGHAI, Feb. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- China Mobile, the largest mobile operator in the world, and Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU), are demonstrating their progress in the development of network functions virtualization (NFV) for mobile operators. Using Alcatel-Lucent's virtualized proof of concept LTE radio access network (RAN) Baseband Unit (BBU) and its virtualized evolved packet core (vEPC) in a multi-vendor environment, the companies are showing how an open mobile cloud network enhances agility, efficiency and scale.
Visitors to China Mobile's booth at Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona are able to make voice and video calls with voice over LTE (VoLTE) capable handsets. These services are enabled by a multi-vendor cloud network including:
- Alcatel-Lucent's virtualized proof of concept LTE RAN BBU uses COTS (Commercial-Off-The-Shelf) parts including hardware components, software components and commercial LTE protocols. The solution was developed as part of the Cloud-RAN (C-RAN) program initiated by China Mobile. Alcatel-Lucent and China Mobile signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to develop C-RAN in 2011.
- Alcatel-Lucent's vEPC operating with other virtualized core network functions in a multi-vendor environment. This will be onboarded, managed and orchestrated within the virtual environment by the latest version of Alcatel-Lucent's NFV platform - CloudBand™ 2.0.
China Mobile has more than 700 million subscribers and operates a large scale TD-LTE overlay network in which Alcatel-Lucent is a prime vendor. It is driving NFV for the creation of a greener, more agile and efficient network. This will allow it to reduce costs and automate service life-cycle management to quickly deliver high-quality services on a huge scale.
Alcatel-Lucent is focusing on its leadership in IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access, as announced in The Shift Plan, to advance industry development of NFV and deliver on its cloud shift vision. In doing so it will help its customers build a better, more flexible cloud using carrier-grade virtualized networks that operate over any standard computing hardware and open source software environment. Alcatel-Lucent's virtualized solutions will use the same field-proven, feature-rich product software in its hardware-based solutions. This will allow mobile operators to transition smoothly to an open, cloud-based network environment at a speed that meets their needs, with improved agility and network scalability and reduced costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV