PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- No, there's isn't a Worldwide Olympic Beer Partner for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
You say it's an athletic event and that beer is as out of place at the Olympics as a brick wall on a bobsled track? We're sorry, but this is the same event that leans on McDonald's for its food and washes it down with Coca-Cola. There's a high-calorie Value Meal right there in the sponsorship list and, somehow, there's no room for a beer?
The whole thing is incredibly dubious. When FIFA opens up World Cup play in Brazil this summer, Budweiser will be there as the event's official beer. Granted, Budweiser's parent company Anheuser-Busch InBev calls Brazil home -- one of its two headquarters is in Sao Paolo, with the other in Belgium -- but soccer doesn't seem so put off by having a brewer foot part of the bill for its biggest event.
Brewers have no problem supporting individual teams, however, with Anheuser-Busch InBev throwing its support behind Team USA, while MolsonCoors went a step further in its support of Team Canada by bringing a beer fridge to Sochi that could only be opened with a scan of a Canadian passport. It's just a shame the International Olympic Committee is such a teetotaler, considering all the great brewing locations that have hosted its events in the past.Some of the best just happen to be right here in our backyard. We took a look around cities where the Olympic torch has been lit in North America and found five great beers being produced near Olympic sites. May each Olympic ring be filled with a taster sample of one of the following:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV