NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Medbox MDBX, a controversial maker of medical marijuana vending machines that trades on the off-exchange OTCPink marketplace, saw shares fall more than 6% Tuesday after a report accused the company of "MULTIPLE FRAUDS" [the caps are from the report] and a law firm cited the report in announcing an investigation of Medbox.
Medbox shares lost 6.14% Tuesday to close at $30, according to the Web site of OTCMarkets, which operates the OTCPink marketplace. The shares bounced between $26.37 and $33.24 on the day.
The 13-page report was from a company called Citron Research, which says it is in its "13th year of publishing investigative research into suspect publicly traded companies." Citron claims it "has exposed more corporate fraud than any other source on Wall Street."
After citing a previous report on Medbox from the Southern Investigative Reporting Foundation, which pointed to irregularities in Medbox corporate filings, the Citron report pointed to several new red flags. For example, on Nov. 19, Medbox reported a profit for the quarter ended Sept. 30 in a filing with OTCMarkets. However, a Jan. 21 filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission covering the same period shows Medbox is losing money, Citron claims.The Citron report was published Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon, Johnson & Weaver, a law firm, issued a press release citing the Citron report and saying it would investigate. Medbox followed up with a press release of its own, stating it "discovered some errors in accounting which we have since corrected in the latest financials."
Medbox has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment on this story.
Related: Medbox CEO Weighs in on Marijuana Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV