Now I'm not suggesting that Pepsi is "better" than Coke. I won't get into that sort of debate. But Pepsi has beaten estimates in nearly every meaningful category amid significant headwinds. And I have to question why is now the time for activist investors to want to mess with something that clearly isn't broken. Management knows what it's doing.
All told, making a bold push for Modelez seems ill-timed, if not completely misguided. Besides, I don't believe Mondelez is an exceptional bargain, given that shares are sitting near their 52-week highs. And let's assume that Pepsi does make this acquisition. There's now the risk that Pepsi's management will not be able to execute to a level that exceeds the company's current output.
So although there are reasons to deal for Mondelez, I believe the greater risk would be to take the sort of action that disrupts Pepsi's current momentum. And Mondelez hasn't exactly performed to a level that deserves the sort of premium it would command. Until there is more compelling evidence that drastic action needs to be taken, I will have to side with management to maintain Pepsi's current structure as a diversified food and beverage operation.
Pepsi stock presents tremendous value here at around $78 per share. To the extent that management can execute on its long-term plans to improve operating margins, I don't see how this stock will ever go flat. And with the company still in the midst of $3 billion stock buyback, $90 per share seems a reasonable assumption in the next 6 to 12 months.At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Richard_WSPB This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV