AIG on Thursday announced a new authorization to repurchase up to $1 billion in common shares, bringing its total remaining buyback authorization to $1.4 billion. The company bought back about $600 million in common shares during 2013, lowering its weighted average share count for the year by 14%.
Also on Thursday, AIG said it would raise its quarterly dividend on common shares to 12.5 cents from 10 cents.
KBW analyst Meyer Shields on Sunday reiterated his "market perform" rating for AIG, with a price target of $54.00. "AIG trades at 71% of its current $68.62 book value per share - a discount to its specialty insurer peers, but on a metric that we think is both obvious and with limited predictive power. We think the 10.1x 2015E EPS valuation fairly balances the core units' improving earnings against the risks of persistent investment yield pressure and uncertain rate and loss reserve adequacy should loss cost inflation
accelerate," Shields wrote in a note to clients.
He estimates AIG will earn $4.25 a share this year, with EPS growing to $4.85 in 2015.This chart shows the performance of AIG's stock against the S&P 500
AIG data by YCharts
Zions Primes for Rising Rates SunTrust's New Planning Tool Can Provide Rude Awakening for Investors Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV