By late morning, shares had plunged 5.4% to $90.79. Trading volume of 3 million was nearly double its three-month daily average.
Earlier, Mexico's lower house of Congress approved legislation which would reform the nation's rail freight industry, a sector dominated by the duopoly of Grupo Mexico and Kansas City Southern. The bill, which still needs Senate approval, would hope to encourage increased investment in infrastructure and lower freight prices.
According to Reuters, Grupo Mexico and Kansas City Southern are considering legal action, arguing the bill infringes upon the 14 years of exclusivity they still have in their concessions.The concerns were large enough for analysts at JPMorgan to downgrade the stock. "We are lowering our rating on KSU from Overweight to Neutral due entirely to our concern that there is a meaningful probability that new rail legislation in Mexico could become law. While such a law would be challenged by KSU and other railroads, it ultimately could translate to less pricing opportunity in Mexico," wrote analyst Thomas Wadewitz in the report. "The near-term impact to KSU stock would likely come in the form of lower valuation as visibility to the EPS impact might be unclear for several years. While we still believe that KSU has an attractive multi-year volume growth story, from a risk management perspective we can no longer justify recommending the stock in light of the risk from potential new rail legislation in Mexico."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV