- Painted Sprinkler Heads – Sprinkler heads should not be painted (they’re not meant to be pretty) or covered in any way. In addition to regular inspections, sprinkler systems must be inspected internally every five years to ensure they are free of buildup that would restrict water flow.
- Fire extinguishers that do not meet requirements for hazard type – Different hazards require different types of extinguishers, and using the wrong extinguisher can sometimes make the fire worse. The type and number of fire extinguishers needed change with the use and contents of a building. Make sure that you have the appropriate extinguisher available based on the hazards present in your business.
- Failures in emergency lighting and exit signs - Occupational Safety and Health Association (OSHA) 1910.37 and NFPA 101 require emergency lights and exit signs to be tested for 30 seconds monthly and 90 minutes annually, along with other important but easy-to-miss vitals a trained technician will know to check.
- Alarm systems not tested at required intervals – Lives are at stake when a fire occurs and an alarm system won’t do its job if it’s not properly maintained. NFPA 72 outlines required testing intervals for automatic fire alarm systems. Proper maintenance of a fire alarm system will greatly improve the chances that it will detect a fire, notify the building occupants, and alert first responders.
- No inspection paperwork – If no paperwork exists, did the inspection really take place? Work with a fire protection provider that offers complete, easy to understand inspection reports. This will help you to easily keep track of all completed inspections and quickly reference them when needed.
In The Hot Seat: Five Common Fire Code Violations
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts