PARIS, Feb. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is enabling leading Swiss telecommunications provider Swisscom to bring ultra-broadband access speeds of up to 1 gigabit-per-second (Gbps) to one million households in metropolitan areas of Switzerland.
Swisscom is using Alcatel-Lucent's Intelligent Services Access Manager – a highly versatile, high-capacity node for managing various access technologies – to offer the fastest residential broadband service available in Switzerland to date.
The upgraded network will enable Swisscom to meet escalating demand for high-bandwidth applications such as streaming video services, teleconferencing and online gaming, and will contribute to the service provider's objective of connecting nearly a third of Swiss households to ultra-broadband fiber access by 2015.
- Swisscom is deploying Alcatel-Lucent's 7302 Intelligent Services Access Manager (ISAM) using point-to-point gigabit Ethernet technology to offer fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) residential broadband services up to 1 Gbps – the fastest in Switzerland
- Deployment is part of Swisscom's comprehensive strategy to bring the benefits of ultra-broadband to 85 percent of the country's households and businesses by 2020, using both optical fiber and existing copper infrastructure
- Alcatel-Lucent is providing professional services for the rollout and integration of the entire FTTH network
- Supporting both copper and fiber technologies, the Alcatel-Lucent ISAM family is the most widely deployed fixed access platform in the world
- As Alcatel-Lucent progresses with implementing The Shift Plan, an industrial repositioning of the company to become a specialist in IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access, additional focus is being given to innovations like ISAM technology to help operators and service providers like Swisscom migrate their infrastructure and services to more efficient and cost-effective platforms in response to growing consumer and business demand for significantly greater capacity.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts