Feb. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is enabling leading Swiss telecommunications provider Swisscom to bring ultra-broadband access speeds of up to 1 gigabit-per-second (Gbps) to one million households in metropolitan areas of
Swisscom is using Alcatel-Lucent's Intelligent Services Access Manager – a highly versatile, high-capacity node for managing various access technologies – to offer the fastest residential broadband service available in
Switzerland to date.
The upgraded network will enable Swisscom to meet escalating demand for high-bandwidth applications such as streaming video services, teleconferencing and online gaming, and will contribute to the service provider's objective of connecting nearly a third of Swiss households to ultra-broadband fiber access by 2015.
Heinz Herren, CIO & CTO, Swisscom, said:
- Swisscom is deploying Alcatel-Lucent's 7302 Intelligent Services Access Manager (ISAM) using point-to-point gigabit Ethernet technology to offer fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) residential broadband services up to 1 Gbps – the fastest in Switzerland
- Deployment is part of Swisscom's comprehensive strategy to bring the benefits of ultra-broadband to 85 percent of the country's households and businesses by 2020, using both optical fiber and existing copper infrastructure
- Alcatel-Lucent is providing professional services for the rollout and integration of the entire FTTH network
- Supporting both copper and fiber technologies, the Alcatel-Lucent ISAM family is the most widely deployed fixed access platform in the world
- As Alcatel-Lucent progresses with implementing The Shift Plan, an industrial repositioning of the company to become a specialist in IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access, additional focus is being given to innovations like ISAM technology to help operators and service providers like Swisscom migrate their infrastructure and services to more efficient and cost-effective platforms in response to growing consumer and business demand for significantly greater capacity.
"In order to meet customer demand for increased speed and reinforce Swisscom's position as market leader we knew we needed a solution that could maximize the performance of our existing infrastructure for the delivery of ultra-broadband while also creating a foundation for future growth and higher speeds. Alcatel-Lucent's technology is a key element of the solution that accomplishes both of these goals."
Luis Martinez Amago, President, Alcatel-Lucent Europe, Middle East & Africa, said
: "As a leader in supplying both fiber and copper broadband technologies, Alcatel-Lucent is uniquely qualified to help Swisscom find the right balance between the two to meet their business objectives. Swisscom understands that Alcatel-Lucent's ISAM solution is the best to meet immediate demand for the highest possible speeds for the most people while laying the foundation for higher speeds and a broader customer base in the future."
About Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is at the forefront of global communications, providing products and innovations in IP and cloud networking, as well as ultra-broadband fixed and wireless access to service providers and their customers, enterprises and institutions throughout the world.
Underpinning Alcatel-Lucent in driving the industrial transformation from voice telephony to high-speed digital delivery of data, video and information is Bell Labs, an integral part of Alcatel-Lucent and one of the world's foremost technology research institutes, responsible for countless breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent innovations have resulted in the company being recognized by Thomson Reuters as a Top 100 Global Innovator, as well as being named by MIT Technology Review as amongst 2012's Top 50 "World's Most Innovative Companies". Alcatel-Lucent has also been recognized for innovation in sustainability, being named Industry Group Leader for Technology Hardware & Equipment sector in the 2013 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices review for making global communications more sustainable, affordable and accessible, all in pursuit of the company's mission to realize the potential of a connected world.
With revenues of Euro 14.4 billion in 2013, Alcatel-Lucent is listed on the Paris and New York stock exchanges (Euronext and NYSE: ALU). The company is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.