Obamacare Or Not, Job Satisfaction Is Dropping
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Politicians and pundits had a field day with the Congressional Budget Office's recent report on the Affordable Care Act and whether it would lead to Americans walking away from jobs now that they no longer had to worry about health care.
A potentially larger issue is why so many Americans hate their jobs, and what that means to the economy.
According to Chicago-based CareerBuilder, about one in five American workers (21%) say they plan to look for a new job this year, and far and away the most common reason cited is "job dissatisfaction."
CareerBuilder says that 59% of Americans are satisfied with their jobs, down from 66% last year. Salary issues and "not feeling valued" are the biggest reasons for Americans being downbeat about their jobs.
- 58% of workers want to leave because they are dissatisfied with their jobs.
- 45% say their "upward mobility" is limited.
- 39% want to leave their job because they dislike their "work-life balance."
- 39% say they are "highly stressed" at their current job.
- 37% want to leave because they hate their boss.
- 36% want out because they were "overlooked" for a promotion.
- 28% are unhappy they didn't get a pay raise in 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV