NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It struck me kinda funny to see Wal-Mart (WMT) use a Canadian band, Rush, to promote the merits of American workers (and the company's apparent commitment to them) with a warm and fuzzy Winter Olympics television advertisement:
At one time, WMT might have been the stock you buy, hold, accumulate, forget about and leave to your grandkids. Like McDonalds (MCD).
Family Dollar (FDO) shoppers paid 2.7% less on purchases than Wal-Mart shoppers in January ... Dollar General (DG) shoppers paid .2% less ...
The cost of the baskets has dropped by $9.37 and $4 at Family Dollar and Dollar General, respectively, since May 2013. By comparison, the cost of the baskets has increased $2.36 at Wal-Mart.Wal-Mart never had a viable exit plan from the slums. Now, it's in trouble. And it's aiming for a nostalgic shot to the heart by way of the dulcet tones of the great Geddy Lee. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV