PORTLAND, Ore., Feb. 14, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Galena Biopharma (Nasdaq:GALE), a biopharmaceutical company developing and commercializing innovative, targeted oncology treatments that address major unmet medical needs to advance cancer care, today issued a letter to its shareholders in response to recent media attention stemming from an article by TheStreet.com.
Due to the recent media attention on Galena Biopharma that we acknowledge is having an impact on investor confidence, we felt it necessary, as a service to our shareholders, to publicly respond to the discussions and set the record straight.The genesis of this attention is due to a single reporter, Adam Feuerstein from TheStreet.com, who clearly has an agenda when it comes to Galena. This can be evidenced by his numerous, tabloid-like articles on the company that have appeared over the past three years and are sensational but largely devoid of true information. The article this week is just another in the line, which for us have become noise. Mr. Feuerstein has never requested a meeting with the company to understand the details of our programs or the goals of the company. On the contrary, his requests for information are consistently accusatory and negative. As a result, we do not feel it is worthwhile to engage him or respond to other media outlets that serve to advance his agenda. However, we do recognize that you, our shareholders, deserve a direct response on the matters at hand. The only facts in Mr. Feuerstein's most recent article that are remotely accurate are that Galena previously engaged the DreamTeamGroup and that insiders at the company, including me, divested shares in mid January. All other accusations in this article – as with his prior reporting on Galena – are specious and conveniently arranged to create controversy. Over the past year, we have accomplished the following:
- Acquired Abstral® (fentanyl) sublingual tablets, implemented a commercial team, launched the drug in October 2013, and currently have approximately 5% of the branded market after only four months of launch. Abstral is part of a class-wide Transmucosal Immediate Release Fentanyl (TIRF) Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) program designed to mitigate the risk of misuse, abuse, addiction, overdose and serious complications due to medication errors with the use of TIRF medicines.
- Initiated our RELIEF Patient Registry trial for Abstral.
- Continued to progress our pivotal, Phase 3 PRESENT trial for NeuVax™ (nelipepimut-S) and added another commercial partnership with Dr. Reddy's in India.
- Progressed enrollment with our Phase 2b combination trial with NeuVax and Herceptin® (trastuzumab).
- Expanded our Intellectual Property with an issued patent for NeuVax in Europe.
- Advanced our pipeline with the initiation of a Phase 2 trial with GALE-301, and we expect to report the Phase 1 data mid-year.
- Broadened our portfolio into hematology with the acquisition of Mills Pharmaceuticals and anagrelide controlled release, now GALE-401.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts