NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Coty Inc (COTY), like its peers in the retail space, suffered from the challenge of enticing customers not to just spend on them, but to spend at all.
Second-quarter net income fell 33% to $82.5 million as the perfume and beauty retailer was hit hard by softness in fragrance and nailcare segments and an aggressively promotional holiday season.
In the three months to December, per-share earnings of 28 cents a share were a penny shy of consensus, according to analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters.
Revenue of $1.32 billion, though 4% lower than a year earlier, beat estimates by $20 million."We faced a challenging second quarter, as expected. U.S. market softness particularly in the mass fragrance and nail categories, and the high level of promotional activity through the holiday season, have impacted our performance in mature markets," said CEO Michele Scannavini in a statement. Emerging market growth showed resilience, increasing 6% over the quarter. "On a more positive note, our investment in the emerging markets is starting to yield positive results, with solid growth driven by Brazil, Southeast Asia, and South Africa," said Scannavini. The board approved the repurchase of up to $200 million of common shares. Investors might have been expecting worse. By midafternoon, shares had surged 7.5% to $14.75. Also See: Avon Products Reports Quarterly Results
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV