Bed Bath and Beyond
Bed Bath and Beyond (BBBY) is another best-in-breed retail name that's on our list of shareholder yield champs this week. If you focused solely on dividends, BBBY wouldn't even be on your radar; this $14 billion housewares retailer doesn't pay one. But that doesn't mean that the firm doesn't return capital to shareholders; $1 billion in share buybacks last year adds up to a 7.3% shareholder yield.
It's worth noting that debt extinguishment isn't an option for BBBY -- the firm doesn't have any debt.Bed Bath and Beyond's flagship stores offer everything from kegerators, massage chairs, and other household gadgets to more non-discretionary items like sheets, pots, and pans. That combination has made BBBY successful at attracting shoppers and getting them to spend. Other store concepts like Buy Buy Baby, Cost Plus and Christmas Tree Shops are expanding the firm's core focus, and they provide one of the biggest opportunities for top line expansion right now. All told, the firm operates nearly 1,500 stores in North America. That's particularly impressive: despite recent big acquisitions of new store brands and a huge footprint of real estate, BBBY has financed all of its growth through cash on hand and equity. That lack of a debt load means that shareholders claim a bigger piece of the pie -- and that pie looks underpriced right now. For all of BBBY's growth prospects, shares trade for just 13 times trailing earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV