Optimism as the Smoke Clears
Posted at 3:25 p.m. EST on Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014
It's good to see some stocks come back that really didn't disappoint, but were simply conservative in guidance. Two that I follow, 3M (MMM) and Boeing (BA), were scalded when they offered tempered views of things and people believed that the worst was about to happen.
(UTX) hinted as such, but only after it had already guided down. Alcoa (AA) talked about this, but said things could go right or wrong. Honeywell (HON) had a story pretty much without caveats, but it has some really good secular trends going for it. But 3M and Boeing are squarely in the sights of the markets that are most on edge, so what's the point of raving about them? [Read: 3 Reasons Bears Never Prosper] Believe me, this is not an uncommon problem. For example, shouldn't Apple (AAPL) have warned people on the previous conference call to this one about all of the pitfalls ahead? Would that have eliminated the debacle, even as the debacle allowed the company to truly buy stock at the right price?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV