MeetMe, Inc. (NYSE MKT:MEET), the public market leader for social discovery, today announced results from its 12,000-person survey of Valentine’s Day habits. The survey reveals Valentine’s Day 2014 is about social media and mobile technology more than ever before, but that some things never change.
“94 percent of women and 84 percent of men prefer to start out as friends,” says Catherine Cook co-founder and VP of brand strategy at MeetMe. “People prefer to begin relationships casually as friends and let them evolve naturally into something more. The survey shows that “making new friends” is the number one reason people use MeetMe today. We believe this illustrates the fundamental problem with traditional dating sites – that the best way to start a quality relationship is as a friend.”
Some insights MeetMe found about Valentine’s Day habits include:
- Online/mobile apps are by far the most common way to meet someone new.
- Mobile apps make it easier both to meet new people and to expand the set of people to meet.
- More people met their Valentine’s Day date online than offline this year.
- 77 percent prefer a home-cooked meal to going to a restaurant this Valentine’s Day.
- Only 15 percent of women spend more than $50 on Valentine’s Day, but 35 percent of guys do.
- Flowers and candy still matter, with 72 percent of women hoping to receive flowers or candy this Valentine’s Day.
This national survey was completed by MeetMe members online and on iPhone and Android devices in February 2014, with 6,437 male and 5,910 female respondents.About MeetMe, Inc. MeetMe® is the leading social network for meeting new people in the US and the public market leader for social discovery (NYSE MKT:MEET). MeetMe makes meeting new people fun through social games and apps, monetized by both advertising and virtual currency. With 60 percent of traffic coming from mobile, MeetMe is fast becoming the social gathering place for the mobile generation. The company operates MeetMe.com and MeetMe apps on iPhone, iPad, and Android in multiple languages including English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, German, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), Russian, Japanese, Dutch, Turkish and Korean.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts