LeapFrog appeared on my radar last month due to the fact that it traded at a very low multiple of its net current asset value (1.92). With an improved balance sheet and a drop in the stock price, it now trades at just 1.4 times net current asset value.
The company announced a stock buyback program yesterday, authorizing the repurchase of up to $30 million in stock between now and Dec. 31, 2014. Admittedly, the announcement of a stock repurchase plan is meaningless unless the company follows through. But if the buyback occurs, LeapFrog will have put its money where its mouth is. The company certainly has the financial resources to make the buybacks a reality.
There is little doubt that LeapFrog will be volatile in the near-term, and the first quarter or two are likely to be challenging for the company. However, with a solid balance sheet, the company should be able to weather the storm.
With the company's enterprise value below $300 million, including a relatively large cash position, LeapFrog might make an interesting acquisition candidate for a larger company wishing to pick up a well-established brand on the cheap.It is worth noting, however, that the company does have a dual share class structure, with Class B shares having superior voting rights. Given that the Milken family owns nearly all of the Class B shares and holds more than 40% of the voting power, they would most certainly need to be in favor of any proposed deal. At the time of publication, the author was long LF. Follow @JonMHellerCFA This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV