NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As the Treasury yield curve widens, dividend-paying stocks could show relative weakness compared with the overall market.
In this article, the yield curve is represented by the iShares 1-3 Year Treasury Bond (SHY) over the iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond (TLT). An increase in the price of the indicator signals that the gap between long-term and short-term rates is widening.
Last May, the Federal Reserve hinted at cutting its stimulus program by the end of the year. That ignited a massive selloff in long-dated Treasury bonds and a spike higher in interest rates.
Generally, interest rates and the price of fixed-income products move inversely. Thus, when investors are bearish on bonds, interest rates begin to rise.Many market participants believed a similar selloff in bonds would occur when the Fed actually began cutting the stimulus in December. Much to their surprise, the long-dated bond index was bid higher as the taper was rolled out. At that time, U.S. manufacturing and labor market data had vastly underperformed expectations, which led to anxiety within financial markets that the economy wasn't ready to operate without Fed support. Worries about manufacturing and the job market, as well as a selloff in emerging-market assets, led to a strong move higher in Treasury bonds because of their attractive safe-haven status. Global investors piled into Treasury products, pushing down interest rates and contracting the yield curve.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV