- Ericsson and Ciena sign strategic global agreement for joint development of IP-optical convergence
- Ericsson and Ciena are committed to accelerating the availability of open, programmable, software-defined networks
- Ericsson will offer Ciena's Converged Packet Optical portfolio, including the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform and 5400 family
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, Feb. 14, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) and Ciena (NYSE:CIEN) today announce a strategic global agreement to develop joint transport solutions for IP-optical convergence and service provider software-defined networking (SDN). As part of this agreement, Ericsson offers Ciena's Converged Packet Optical portfolio, including the 6500 Packet-Optical Platform and 5400 family.
Ericsson will benefit from Ciena's best-in-class optical technology leadership, including its WaveLogic coherent optical processors and global market presence. Combined with Ericsson's strong IP portfolio and Global Services organization, service providers will be able to deploy IPoWDM technology and to evolve their transport network into a SDN-enabled infrastructure. This will result in lower total cost of ownership and faster deployment of new services.
"This strategic global agreement brings together two companies uniquely positioned to drive the adoption of more open, programmable networks. The integration of our industry-leading packet-optical technologies into Ericsson's portfolio, combined with our global distribution agreement, allows us to address a wider market with a combined offering," said Gary Smith, President and CEO, Ciena. "As our industry moves toward a more open networking environment, collaboration within an ecosystem of specialists will be critical for innovation. Our SDN-focused joint development activities will enable us to deliver on network transformation strategies that dynamically support changing demands for network-level applications and services.""The convergence between IP and Optical network layers in an Open SDN controlled architecture will enable more flexible and cost efficient networks for Service Providers" said Johan Wibergh, Executive Vice President and Ericsson's Head of Business Unit Networks." This agreement allows us to offer Ciena's industry-leading Packet-Optical products. This is a great complement to our portfolio of 4 th Generation IP products and will enable more complete and competitive solutions to our customers." The strategic agreement is effective immediately, and go-to-market activities and solution integration efforts are underway.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV