WEST PALM BEACH, Fla., Feb. 13, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Forward Industries, Inc. (Nasdaq:FORD), a designer and distributor of custom carry and protective solutions, today announced financial results for its first fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2013.
After reporting annual operating income in fiscal 2013 for the first time since fiscal 2006, Forward continued to generate operating income of $0.4 million in the fiscal 2014 first quarter compared to an operating loss of $52 thousand in the fiscal 2013 first quarter. Other key financial results for the fiscal 2014 first quarter, compared to the fiscal 2013 first quarter, are as follows:
Fiscal 2014 First Quarter Financial Results – Compared to the 2013 first quarter results:
- Net sales increased $1.4 million, or 21%, to $8.4 million in the 2014 quarter due primarily to higher sales of Diabetic products, which increased $1.2 million, and, to a lesser extent, higher sales of Other products, which increased $0.2 million in the 2014 quarter.
- Gross profit increased $0.3 million to $1.8 million, or 22% of net sales, in the 2014 quarter, compared to $1.5 million, or 21% of net sales, in the 2013 quarter.
- Sales and marketing expenses increased $0.1 million, or 29%, to $0.6 million in the 2014 quarter due primarily to higher personnel costs resulting from the restructuring and expansion of our sales and sales support departments.
- General and administrative expenses decreased $0.2 million, or 20%, to $0.9 million in the 2014 quarter due primarily to higher personnel costs, and travel and entertainment costs, incurred in the 2013 quarter in connection with our restructuring. In addition, professional fees incurred in the 2013 quarter were higher primarily as a result of the Targus lawsuit.
- Other expense (income), net, shifted to $25 thousand of expense in the 2014 quarter from $(0.2) million of income in the 2013 quarter primarily as a result of net realized and unrealized losses on investments in marketable securities.
- Net income from continuing operations increased to $0.3 million, or $0.04 per basic and diluted share, in the 2014 quarter from $0.2 million, or $0.02 per basic and diluted share, in the 2013 quarter.
- Net income (loss) from discontinued operations was $5 thousand, or $0.00 per basic and diluted share, in the 2014 quarter, compared to ($42) thousand, or $(0.00) per basic and diluted share, in the 2013 quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV