After the bell, shares had taken off 6.1% to $56.44.
The company, which develops electric measuring tools, expects second-quarter net income between 71 cents and 73 cents a share on sales of $1.72 billion to $1.74 billion.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had forecast earnings of 81 cents a share on $1.78 billion for the three months to April.Over fiscal 2014, management issued earnings guidance of $2.96 to $3.16 a share and revenue between $6.9 billion and $7.1 billion. Consensus was for $3.19 a share in net income and sales of $7.05 billion. In its first quarter ended January, the Santa Clara, Calif.-based business reported net income of 67 cents a share, a penny over consensus. Revenue of $1.68 billion was flat on the year-ago quarter but fell short of expectations by $10 million. Must Read: Lagging In Post-Market Activity: Agilent Technologies Must Read: Agilent Technologies Reports First-Quarter 2014 Results TheStreet Ratings team rates AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES INC (A) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: A Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV