NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Stephen J Errico of hedge fund Locust Wood Capital Advisers expects KKR's (KKR) next buyout deal could come from the publicly-traded shell of Washington Mutual, the failed thrift lender whose assets and liabilities were acquired by JPMorgan (JPM) in a controversial crisis-era takeover.
Errico said at the Harbor Investment Conference in midtown Manhattan on Wednesday that Locust Wood is investing in WMI Holdings, the publicly traded shell of Washington Mutual, because he believes KKR's recent million investment in the company signals the PE firm may use it for its next billion dollar deal.
The investment was characterized as a speculative bet by Errico and centers on net operating loss carryforwards that KKR may be able to utilize were WMI Holdings to begin making large acquisitions. In March, a two-year waiting period for WMI Holdings to realize its NOLs expires, giving the company the ability to make acquisitions at advantageous prices, according to Errico's comments.
He estimated on Wednesday that WMI Holdings carries nearly $6 billion in loss carryforwards, an attractive asset in prospective acquisitions.
In January, KKR made what it called a "strategic investment" in WMI Holdings consisting of a $11 million purchase of the face value of its convertible preferred stock, which converts at a price of $1.10 per share. The PE giant also committed to purchase up to $150 million aggregate principal amount of WMI Holdings subordinated 7.5% PIK notes, which may be issued in one or more tranches over a three year period, with a seven year term from the date of that issuance.
As part of the investment, KKR received five-year warrants to purchase approximately 61.4 million shares of the Company's common stock, 30.7 million of which has an exercise price of $1.32 per share and 30.7 million of which has an exercise price of $1.43 per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV