By midday, shares had unloaded 6.9% to $3.18. Year to date, the stock is down 3.6%.
The Vancouver-based miner said its Oyu Tolgoi mine would generate $55 million in gross revenues, or $26,400 tonnes of concentrate, over fiscal 2013. The company said these projections fall short of initial sales volumes projected, with some sales expected to be deferred into the second and third quarters of 2014.
The mine, which Turquoise and Mongolian government share a 66%:34% stake in, has seen production interruptions due to delays in negotiations on shareholder issues and financing projections."Further delays may occur if outstanding shareholder issues, including project finance, are not resolved before the expiration of lender commitments on existing project finance arrangements," the company said in a statement. Production rates were also recently impacted by various post-commissioning issues, such as the failure of rake blades in the tailings thickeners. Management expects this to result in the shutdown of one line for up to eight weeks. Turquoise Hill projects 2014 production of 150,000 to 175,000 tonnes of copper in concentrates and 700,000 to 750,000 ounces of gold in concentrates. Mining giant Rio Tinto (RIO) holds a 50.8% controlling interest in Turquoise Hill.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV