CHARLOTTE, N.C. (TheStreet) -- American Airlines (AAL) subsidiary US Airways has cancelled all Charlotte arrivals for the remainder of Thursday as winter weather has led to a series of related problems.
US Airways suspended arrivals at Charlotte, its largest hub, around 11 a.m. EST Thursday. Most Thursday departures have also been cancelled.
"Our crews are having a difficult time getting to the airport due to the road conditions" said airline spokesman Davien Anderson, adding the airline doesn't want to see more connecting passengers stranded at the airport. "Most of the airport-area hotels are at capacity," Anderson said.
About 1,000 passengers spent Wednesday night at Charlotte Douglas, an airport spokeswoman said. About 80 passengers spent the night Tuesday.Airlines typically focus on pre-cancelling flights in order to avoid having passengers make needless trips to the airport.
Some of the problems at Charlotte result from local winter weather and some from the winter weather in the Northeast. US Airways said it sharply reduced operations at New York LaGuardia as well as its hubs at Washington Reagan National and Philadelphia International. Many Charlotte passengers connect to Northeast flights. According to FlightStats.com, about 900 Charlotte arrivals and departures had been cancelled by shortly before noon Thursday. US Airways expects to restart operations on Friday, although Anderson said it is too early to say whether the carrier can operate a full Friday schedule. Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
To contact this writer, click here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV