The shoe maker posted earnings of 28 cents a share in the fourth quarter, beating analyst estimates of 16 cents a share. Skechers reported revenue of $450.7 million for the quarter, surpassing analyst estimates of $448.6 million.
Net sales increased by 13.9% year over year in the quarter, leading Skechers to its second-highest fourth-quarter sales in company history. In a press release company COO and CFO David Weinberg said "The growth is related to the strong product successes we are experiencing across our men's, women's, and kids' categories, which resulted in double-digit increases in our Company-owned retail and domestic wholesale businesses, and single-digit increases in our international and e-commerce businesses."
Skechers said it plans to open between 60 and 70 company-owned stores in 2014.Must read: Retail Remains a Tough Proposition TheStreet Ratings team rates SKECHERS U S A INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SKECHERS U S A INC (SKX) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- SKX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 16.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- SKX's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.14 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, SKX has a quick ratio of 2.23, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- SKECHERS U S A INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SKECHERS U S A INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.19 versus -$1.39 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.05 versus $0.19).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Textiles, Apparel & Luxury Goods industry. The net income increased by 144.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $11.00 million to $26.85 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 125.80% to $15.63 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SKECHERS U S A INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -53.16%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SKX Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts