NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Cablevision Systems (CVC) was falling 2.31% to $16.49 on Thursday after the announcement that Comcast (CMCSA) would acquire Time Warner (TWC) in one of the biggest deals of the year.
The decline is likely in response to Comcast's $45 billion acquisition of Time Warner, a deal that combines the two largest cable companies in the U.S. The merger should cause increased competition for Cablevision, Verizon (VZ) and other, smaller cable companies. In the New York City area, for example, Time Warner's presence provides access for Comcast, which could pose problems Cablevision in the market.
The stock had a volume of more than 6 million just before noon on Thursday, compared to its average of 3,512,690.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income increased by 7871.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$3.79 million to $294.60 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CABLEVISION SYS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CABLEVISION SYS CORP reported lower earnings of $0.23 versus $0.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.36 versus $0.23).
- The gross profit margin for CABLEVISION SYS CORP is rather high; currently it is at 51.06%. Regardless of CVC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CVC's net profit margin of 18.79% compares favorably to the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $303.72 million or 19.06% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, CABLEVISION SYS CORP has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CVC Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV