SAN DIEGO, Feb. 13, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) and the U.S. Navy successfully flew the second MQ-8C Fire Scout unmanned helicopter for the first time. Conducted at Naval Base Ventura County, Point Mugu, Calif., the flight will allow the team to ramp up testing efforts to prepare the system for operations.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/noc/mediagallery.html?pkgid=23610.
Current tests are focused on validating the flight capabilities of the MQ-8C before ship-based flights take place this summer.
"The addition of the second MQ-8C means we can begin testing on more components and equipment needed to operate the system as an intelligence-gathering platform," said George Vardoulakis, vice president for medium range tactical systems at Northrop Grumman. "This includes installing and conducting tests on the full sensor suite."Fire Scout uses on-board sensors to capture full-motion video, identify targets and then distribute the information in real time to various users. This allows ship-based commanders to maintain awareness of a specified area or keep an eye on a target of interest for long periods of time. "Flight testing has been very successful since the system's first flight Oct. 31," said Vardoulakis. "We've completed 41 flights totaling 66 hours. This accomplishment points back to the maturity of the MQ-8C's autonomous control systems that allow the aircraft to operate as an unmanned system." Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in unmanned systems, cyber, C4ISR, and logistics and modernization to government and commercial customers worldwide. Please visit www.northropgrumman.com for more information. 0214-032 Multimedia Assets associated with this release:Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20121024/LA98563LOGO SOURCE Northrop Grumman Corporation
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV