Revenue for the third quarter declined 1.2% year-over-year to $1.61 billion, which fell short of the Zacks consensus estimate of $1.64 billion. The decline stemmed mostly from a 22.3% drop in original equipment manufacturer revenues, which outweighed the 1.8% increase in Branded revenues.
NetApp also expects revenue of $1.62 billion to $1.75 billion for the fourth-quarter, compared with the Zacks consensus estimate of $1.74 billion; however, the company expects non-GAAP earnings per share of 77 to 82 cents, up from 69 cents one year ago. This would surpass the Zacks consensus estimate of 63 cents.
"We are pleased with our strong operational execution again this quarter," said President and CEO Tom Georgens in the company's statement. "With our strategy of delivering best-of-breed cloud-integrated and flash-accelerated solutions and our unique ability to manage data seamlessly across on- and off-premise environments, we are well positioned to create ongoing opportunity in the evolving IT landscape."Must Read: NetApp (NTAP) Is Today's Post-Market Loser Stock TheStreet Ratings team rates NETAPP INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate NETAPP INC (NTAP) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, good cash flow from operations and expanding profit margins. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Computers & Peripherals industry. The net income increased by 52.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $109.60 million to $166.80 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 4.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Although NTAP's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.24 is very low, it is currently higher than that of the industry average. To add to this, NTAP has a quick ratio of 2.44, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $362.50 million or 7.75% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -4.18%.
- The gross profit margin for NETAPP INC is rather high; currently it is at 67.60%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, NTAP's net profit margin of 10.76% significantly trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NTAP Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.