"It delivers full value in an all stock deal from the most capable acquirer. The deal is strategic, synergistic and accretive and will likely lead to further gains due to future appreciation in Comcast stock," the fund addded. "This is a dream combination."
Paulson & Co. took a stake in Time Warner Cable after speculation of a takeover began to mount in 2013. The fund holds about 6 million Time Warner Cable shares, according to a statement provided to TheStreet. That indicates the fund with merger arbitrage roots boosted its stake in Time Warner Cable, in recent months.
Paulson & Co. has successfully invested in many recent consolidations particularly mergers among telecommunications firms. The fund has also been a vocal supporter of some consolidations, while it has fought for better offers when it perceives a weak deal.
Paulson & Co. initially opposed T-Mobile's takeover of MetroPCS, however, after the deal was amended to involve less debt, the fund blessed the combination. It remains a large shareholder. The fund also publicly supported Sprint's consolidation by Japanese telecom giant SoftBank, amid a frenzied consolidation that included a competing proposal from DISH Network.
Paulson now is in full support of Comcast's all-stock takeover of Time Warner Cable, one of the biggest consolidations in the industry in a generation.
-- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV