NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Now that the Comcast (CMCSA), Time Warner Cable (TWC) deal is officially announced, let me bring to light something a little fishy about stock movement prior to the announcement.
Yesterday was a largely quiet day for equity markets, with the Dow falling 30 points, the Nasdaq gaining 10, and the S&P 500 falling 0.49 points. Not exactly gangbusters stuff.
However, at around 3:55 p.m. EST, the share price of Time Warner Cable started to move sharply higher, gaining about 50 cents in the last few minutes of trading. Normally, no one would think twice about that kind of price action, except if something major was going to happen.
Like a merger.Hope it wasn't an insider that did this. Because it does seem a little fishy and odd that in a day where equities were pretty much flat, shares of Time Warner jumped in the last 5 minutes. Just something to think about. TWC data by YCharts
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV