Each of these stocks are up since the beginning of the month. The worst has been Amazon, up 1% from its earnings-induced selloff. Bulls will tell you it's just a buying opportunity, while the bears will try to sell you the "it's just the beginning of the massive plummet to zero" theory that's failed for the past five years.
If online shopping is going to continue its domination -- and it definitely will -- then Amazon is going to win that battle.
You could argue that the average return of 7.5% from our eight stock mini-fund is helped along by Michael Kors, which is up 25% in February due its stellar earnings results. Fine. Without our best and worst performers (Amazon and Kors), the group still returned 5.5%.
Each stock is pulling its own weight, doing its part to ensure we have solid returns. If you believe that retail has been oversold and will continue to get a bounce, these are the stocks you want.
Of course, if there is a broader market correction, it's quite likely that most, if not all, stocks will get hit. Regardless of their fundamentals, sales or growth, equities move based on emotion, at least in the short term.But investors have to trade what's in front of them. Even in a pullback, quality almost always outperforms. The cream of the crop always rises to the top. At the time of publication, the author was long SBUX, but held no positions in any of the other stocks mentioned. Follow @BretKenwell This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV