James Dennin, Kapitall: Gas prices are about go to up, so we found 5 refining stocks that are primed for Summer.
Gas prices are about to go up significantly as refineries shut down many of their facilities for routine maintenance. People drive a lot more in the summer than they do in the winter, and most gas companies use a lower-emission grade of fuel during warmer months.
[Read more from Kapitall: Can These Highly Profitable Agriculture Stocks Survive California’s Drought?]
Businesses are used to this cycle. Gas prices fluctuate seasonally, so companies are used to factoring in a maintenance period with wider margins when the gasoline supply is squeezed. Maintenance is expected to peak in March when about 10% of the US oil supply is offline – just in time to turn the engines back on for the spring.Suncor (SU), which will keep its plants open throughout the first half of the year, stands to benefit from this trend. Other beneficiaries include firms in the oil refining sector. Investors can reasonably expect companies that refine oil into gas will benefit disproportionately from higher gas prices. We decided to build a list of stocks in the refining and marketing industries that have high operating margins. Operating margins are the company's revenues left over after expenses but before things like fines and legal fees. Given that the margin on a barrel of gasoline is expected to rise by almost three fold between now and April, these companies are worth following in the coming months. Click on the interactive chart below to view data over time. 1.Access Midstream Partners, L.P. ( ACMP):Owns, operates, develops, and acquires natural gas, natural gas liquids and oil gathering systems, and other midstream energy assets in the United States. Market cap at $10.02B, most recent closing price at $56.22. Operating Margin: 25.2%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV