Yellen Senate Testimony Postponed
Updated from 4:52 p.m. ET with comment from Sen. Sherrod Brown, a member of the Senate Banking Committee
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Senate postponed Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen's Thursday testimony, and she likely won't appear until sometime after next week.
The Senate Banking Committee postponed Yellen's appearance after the Senate announced a recess ahead of a massive snow storm expected to slam Washington.
The postponement was a result of the Senate recess, which likely was due to the weather, and the Yellen testimony has not been rescheduled, a spokesperson told TheStreet. The spokesperson said that the Fed chair probably won't appear until after next week because the Senate will be on recess.
Yellen testified to the House Financial Services Committee on Tuesday, affirming continuity in the transition to her Fed leadership from former Chairman Ben Bernanke's policies.
After Yellen's first testimony to the House as Fed chair, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D., Ohio) -- a member of the Senate Banking Committee -- told TheStreet in an emailed statement that he was encouraged by her remarks.
"[E]specially as it relates to the Fed's mandate to maximize employment," Brown said. "Her observations on stagnant wages, a lack of sector-based job training, and growing income inequality show a Fed focused on policies that will help grow the middle class and help put more hardworking Americans back to work."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV