NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- NVIDIA (NVDA) rose 3.57% to $16.83, up 58 cents from its previous close of $16.25, at the close of the trading day on Wednesday prior to the tech company's announcement of its fourth-quarter results.
The stock hit a one-year high of $16.95 during the day on volume of more than 18 million shares, over 2.5 times its average of 6,939,090.
NVIDIA reported fourth-quarter revenue of $1.14 billion, an 8.6% increase from the $1.05 billion it posted in the third quarter and a 3% year-over-year increase from $1.107 billion. GAAP earnings per diluted share for the quarter were 25 cents, a 25% increase from 20 cents in the third quarter but an 11% decrease from 28 cents in the same period one year earlier. Non-GAAP EPS totaled 32 cents, a 23% increase from 26 cents in the third quarter but down 9% from 35 cents in the same quarter one year ago.
The stock was up 2.5% to $17.25 at 4:32 p.m. in after-market activity.TheStreet Ratings team rates NVIDIA CORP as a "buy" with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate NVIDIA CORP (NVDA) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat weak growth in earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, NVDA's share price has jumped by 26.74%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, NVDA should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- NVDA's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.00 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.53, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for NVIDIA CORP is rather high; currently it is at 61.40%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 11.26% trails the industry average.
- NVDA, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 5.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 12.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NVDA Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.