Second Quarter Highlights :
- Adjusted EBITDA decreased $0.4 million to a loss of $0.2 million compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2013
- Net loss increased $0.3 million from the second quarter of fiscal 2013 to a loss of $0.4 million
- Company-owned restaurant sales increased 22.3% over the second quarter of fiscal 2013 to $2.4 million
- Two franchised and one Company-owned Pie Five Pizza Co. restaurants opened
- Two additional multi-unit franchise development agreements awarded, resulting in 48 additional units under contract
THE COLONY, Texas, Feb. 12, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Pizza Inn Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq:PZZI) today announced results for the second fiscal quarter ended December 29, 2013. The Company had a net loss in the second quarter of $0.4 million compared to a net loss of $0.1 million for the comparable period in the prior fiscal year. The increase in net loss from prior year was primarily due to higher costs related to the continued development of the Pie Five concept as well as lower revenue earned from franchising and food and supply distribution, partially offset by higher revenue from Company-owned restaurants.
Total revenues for the second quarter and the prior year quarter were $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively. Second quarter franchise revenue was relatively stable as compared to the prior year as a decrease in franchise fees and royalties from Pizza Inn franchisees was largely offset by increased royalties and franchise fees from Pie Five franchisees. Additional franchise development fees previously received from Pie Five franchisees have been deferred and will be recognized as future restaurants are opened.Second quarter food and supply sales decreased by approximately $0.8 million, or 10.4%, as compared to the prior year primarily due to a 7.0% decrease in domestic franchisee retail sales primarily attributable to a reduction in the average number of Pizza Inn stores open and a decrease in Pizza Inn comparable store sales. Second quarter Company-owned restaurant sales increased $0.4 million, or 22.3%, as compared to the prior year as a result of the opening of two new Company-owned Pie Five restaurants in the second half of fiscal 2013 and four new Company-owned Pie Five restaurants in fiscal 2014, partially offset by the closing of one Company-owned Pizza Inn restaurant at the completion of its lease in fiscal 2014. Second quarter general and administrative expenses remained stable compared to the prior year as higher costs associated with the continued growth of the Pie Five concept were mostly offset by lower stock compensation expense and recruiting fees.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts