In afternoon trading, shares had added 3% to $18.02. Trading volume of 4.7 million is more than three times its three-month average daily volume.
The funeral services provider posted quarterly net income of 27 cents a share, 3 cents higher than analysts expected. Revenue of $668.6 million, 6.2% higher than a year earlier, beat expectations by $14.6 million.
For fiscal 2014, the company expects per-share earnings between $1 and $1.10.Last December, the company finalized its acquisition of cemetery and funeral services provider Stewart Enterprises. "We believe that the current momentum of our pre-need cemetery sales program coupled with our strategic initiatives centered on leveraging our scale will help to offset the higher than expected level of divestitures required in the Stewart acquisition and increases in other ongoing non-cash costs related to the Stewart transaction," said CEO Tom Ryan in a statement. TheStreet Ratings team rates SERVICE CORP INTERNATIONAL as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SERVICE CORP INTERNATIONAL (SCI) a BUY. This is driven by several positive factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SCI Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV