This story has been updated from 2:33 pm EST with a declined to comment from Time Warner Cable.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) is getting ready to launch a new set-top box and is working with cable providers such as Time Warner Cable (TWC) to negotiate video content, according to a Bloomberg report, citing people with knowledge of the matter.
Apple is looking to launch the updated device in time for the 2014 holiday season, but could introduce the box as early as April. The article says the release date could change as the Cupertino, Calif.-based company is still securing new programming agreements and adding distribution partners.
The latest device version will have a faster processor and improved interface to make it easier for customers to navigate between TV shows, movies and online content, the article says.
If Apple is able to secure a deal with Time Warner Cable, it would be the first such deal with a pay-television provider, Bloomberg says. Earlier this week,
Apple launched a channel on Apple TV dedicated solely to The Beatles coinciding with the 50th anniversary of the iconic rock band's first U.S. television appearance on
The Ed Sullivan Show. For a limited time, users can view the performance in its entirety via Apple TV's channel as well as stream Beatles music.
Apple shares were falling 0.02% to $535.90 on Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV